Credits

Femikey

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Therapeutic measures to ease premenstrual hormonal upheaval

Hey girls! Do you wonder why when our menstrual period is approaching, we become moody and unconsciously overindulge in food? Research shows that 98 percent of women get food craving a week before menstruation because of progesterone increase. Progesterone is a calming hormone. Just before our period, our body signals its need for an alternative source of calming to our brain. High sugary foods are commonly eaten to act as a substitute for this phenomenon. For most, the craving becomes great and food intake increases. Some tends to eat more sweets, more sugar and large amount of creams. For me, I can’t resist the temptation to eat ice cream at Swensen and chips! Oh no, chips are high in fat and sodium. It’s the reason why I’m gaining weight (again!)

Next time, we crave for food, here are some wise options: fruits, vegetables, fruit juices and whole grains.

I read from Health and Home some possible therapeutic measures we can do to help ease premenstrual hormonal upheaval and food craving:

1. Eat a good healthy diet high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The best sources: fruits and vegetables.

2. Do regular exercise. Exercise done in the morning, sunlight can improve the body’s ability to produce endorphine and serotonin-our happy hormones!
It’s been awhile that I haven’t exercise..tsk..tsk…and it’s been raining so hard this week that I haven’t seen the sunlightL

3. Have enough sleep. Lack of sleep can add stress to our system and worsen our mood swings. Thanks God, this month we don’t yet have internet connection (we just moved) and I enjoy sleeping early. I hope when we’ll have the internet connection again, I would wisely manage my sleeping time.

4. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks and foods. These tend to make all the symptoms worse. Oh no! I couldn’t resist my Birdy Super creamy coffee in the morning!

my Birdy Super Creamy coffee

5. Ease from negative emotions such as fear, hatred, anger, and self-pity. On the other hand, positive attitude adds more happiness and contentment in life.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.