Credits

Femikey

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Shaking beef

One of my new year resolutions is to try something new especially in cooking . What's the use of being a "food explorer"? LOL!

I tried SHAKING BEEF. The recipe is from the Periplus Mini Cookbook. This is good for 4 servings.

Ingredients:

750 g piece lean beef fillet
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce (if you noticed in the market, there are different kinds of soy sauce. It takes me time to look for it coz what's available in my kitchen is the thick soy sauce)
1 1/2 tsp caster (superfine sugar)
6 garlic cloves, crushed
3 spring onions (scallions), white part only finely chopped
60 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp light soy sauce, extra
100 g mignonette or green or lettuce leaves ( I forgot that we just consumed our lettuce, so I just steamed bok choy or Chinese white cabbage instead:))

Procedure:

1. Cut the beef fillet into 2 cm (3/4 inch) cubes and place in a non-metallic bowl. Combine the fish sauce, soysauce, sugar, garlic, spring onion and 1 tsp of the oil in a small bowl or jug with 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Pour over the meat, toss together so that the meat is well coated, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight. (In my case, it's 24 hours)



2. To make the dressing, combine the rice vinegar, lime juice, extra soysauce, 2 tsp of the oil and 2 tsp water in a non-metallic bowl or jug. Wash, trim and dry the lettuce leaves, then toss with the dressing. Arrange the leaves on a serving plate. (as i told you, lettuce is not available in my kitchen, so I just steamed the bok choy and dressed it:))

3. Heat a wok over high heat, add 1 tbsp of the oil ans swirl to coat the side of the wok. When the oil is hot, add half the beef in one layer, allowing it to sit without stirring for 1 minute, so that a brown crust forms on the bottom. Stir-fry the beef quickly, or use the handle to shake the wok vigorously, tossing the beef around in the heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking ( I like well-done). Remove from the wok and repeat with the remaining oil and beef. Arrange the beef over the lettuce leaves and serve immediately with steamed rice.

It taste like steak, said my hubby. I'm just glad he like it. That's the important thing coz he's the only customer I have...LOL!

entry for

food trip


Photobucket

8 comments:

FoodTripFriday said...

First time ko marinig ang Shaking Beef, pero mukhang masarap and I'm so willing to try it. I have to print your recipe,Thanks for posting. :)

***
sorry about the comment, na-Spam lahat but I already approved the first one and deleted all the others.

HAPPY WEEKEND!!!

Cacai M. said...

Ang sarap siguro nyan.. sini-shake ba talaga 'yan?.. heheh.. joke lang.. haven't tried that yet.. I will try that recipe one day. By the way, My Food Trip this Friday

See yah..

Anya said...

new recipe, i'll try that one of these days...

Seiko said...

Nakapasarap naman eto tingnan Marce. Nagugutom tuloy ako.

Seiko said...

Nakapasarap naman eto tingnan Marce. Nagugutom tuloy ako.

Nedekcir said...

That look very yummy. I should try it sometimes. Pls stop by here, I have something for you. I enjoy your recipe too, btw have a nice weekend.

Bacolod and Beyond said...

wow dami ka ng natutunan na recipe...grabe, bilib ako sa yo.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing